Perth Stadium will be a world-class, 60,000 seat multi-purpose venue capable of hosting major sporting and entertainment events.
A stabilised natural turf will be used for the Perth Stadium playing surface, which combines a natural couch grass mixed with rye and artificial grass. This combination provides outstanding stability and durability, and it also responds well to regular maintenance – an imperative to meet the demands of Perth Stadium.
Playing surface preparation and installation
Playing surface preparation
- Construction of the playing surface at Perth Stadium is now complete and included installation of below ground services, irrigation systems, power cable equipment and drainage systems.
- Installation of footings for drop-in cricket wickets and goal posts is also complete.
- Growing medium was distributed across the playing surface and lazer levelled prior to the
installation of the turf.
- Synthetic turf was installed around the perimeter of the playing surface.
Turf preparation and installation
- The stabilised natural turf has been grown at a local turf farm in Serpentine and included daily soil monitoring and testing.
- Turf was harvested from the turf farm in 10 metre long x 1 metre wide sections and delivered to site.
- Turf was rolled out onto the playing surface within 18 hours of harvesting and consolidated in place by a three tonne roller.
- Turf was trimmed and hand groomed with rakes before being watered.
- Five growlight rigs will be used as part of the turf maintenance program. These will be positioned on
the northern portion of the playing surface during the winter months when sufficient natural light is not available.
- Replacement turf will be available and maintained off site to respond to the demands of Perth Stadium.
- The playing surface will be protected when concerts are held or when drop-in seats are used for
- Two turf specialist will maintain the playing surface throughout the operational phase.
- Over 18,000m2 of turf will be laid.
- Same turf used at ANZ Stadium (Sydney), Eden Park (Auckland), Gabba (Brisbane), nib Stadium (Perth) and MCG (Melbourne).
- The natural component of the turf is wintergreen couch grass with rye added in the winter.
- 10x1m - the dimension of the pre-rolled turf sections.
- 5 growlights used for maintenance